Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Thumb sucking and the growing kids

Anyone out there have any good ideas how to stop THIS:



He really loves his thumb, but he's five. This behavior is the worst, obviously, at night while going to sleep and also when he watches TV. I guess it might be time to stop him from doing it, any suggestions are welcomed!


Little Bean - seriously, I love this kid! Every time I get home from a Dr.'s appointment she says, "Mommy, did you get your baby out?" So cute. She said to me this morning on the way home from the store, "Jesus make me a mommy, ok?" I love that she wants to be a mommy!



Me and Gid. He's quite the mama's boy! Love, love, love his big brown eyes and irresistible laugh. He gets the biggest kick out of himself and of making others laugh. He's got a great sense of humor. So much fun!

Olivia's been really into writing stories, mostly about herself, but it a start, right? :) Today after she was finished with her homework she sat at the table and wrote this story:

ALL ABOUT ME
I love skool it is fun.
It is fun fun fun.
I lrn los uf stuf.
I do math.
Math is fun.
The End
I'm really glad she wrote this story because lately she's been a bear to get out of bed for school. She's also made so many friends at school and here at home that we are starting to deal with; how to be a good friend, how to choose good friends, and constantly hammering the idea of treating others the way you want to be treated. It's exhausting and hard to watch as she gets hurt by "friends" and continually wants to play with them anyway. We've started praying for these friends as well as how we can love them unconditionally (the second part is harder for daddy and I then for the kids!).






5 comments:

danamarie said...

Thats so cute Esther says did you get the baby out. Xavier always said that to me too did the doctor take the baby out yet mommy....kids are so cute...miss you guys tons...hope all is well

Anonymous said...

Regarding the thumb sucking. There is a product to teach kids to stop thumb sucking. It is called Thumbuddy To Love. It is a book and thumb puppet with a calandar and stickers to get kids involved. It is like potty traing. some kids get it early on and some need a bit more patience. but it is really great and it is a positive teaching tool that kids like and parents need. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

To stop thumb sucking try out the Thumbguard (www.thumbguard.com) it works fine for my kids :o)

Jessa said...

Hi Jess! Your kids are so cute! As far as the thumb sucking goes, my Abby was the same way. She has gradually stopped on her own. Honestly (she is in 2nd grade this year) I think seeing how the other kids reacted to a child who sucks her thumb in Abby's class is really what helped. I was just thinking about it today that I haven't seen her sucking her thumb in a long time. We had the discussion when she was in kindy that the other kids might make fun of her for thumbsucking (they didn't) and then set a "rule" that she would only suck her thumb during TV and at night time. Don't worry - I'm pretty sure he won't be sucking it in college! :) I wouldn't stress about it too much :)

The Hulfish Family said...

I think I sucked my finger till I was 10 or so, but my parents tried to put this almost like nail polish on my finger nail. I had them fooled at an early age and gave them the opposite finger that I sucked on but they caught on. It really tastes nasty from what i remember.