Friday, July 13, 2007

It's a. . .

Rabbit!!  Ha! Ha!  You thought I was going to tell you the sex of the baby, but that's not for another couple of days.  So here's our rabbit story.  After we cut the tree down Josh was clearing brush from the yard and found that a rabbit had birthed her babies in the middle of our yard, where she thought it was wooded b/c of all the tree branches and limbs that were down.  We've been watching them closely, checking on them frequently through the day, and showing them to all our house guests that we've had lately.Two of the five rabbits sleeping.  Their eyes have just opened, and the first day that they had opened, two of them when running when we pulled back the brush to check on them.  One ran through the fence, into the woods next door.  I thought he was gone, but the next day all five were back.
A close up of one of them.
This is what they looked like when Josh found them, he and Garrett thought they were mice b/c they were so brand new and their features weren't really clear.

I'm loving all the nature around me now that I live in the country.  I was really freaked out this time last year, I really felt out of my element.  The longer I live here, the more I like the quiet solitude of life, out of the towns, cities, and suburbs that I grew up in.  I love to watch the birds, rabbits, butterflys, squirrels, toads and whatever else comes our way.  I'm not a fan of the snake that decided to say hello the other day when we were checking on the rabbits.  It was only a gardener snake, but he can stay in the woods from now on.

2 comments:

Shoemaker Family said...

The bunnies are cute...and I'm so happy to hear that you're becoming a country girl - just don't make it redneck!!! :)

Praying for you guys today and anxious to hear how things go.

Unknown said...

At least you didn't run over them with the lawnmower. Oooops. What a mess that was. Hard to explain little rabbit body parts in the yard to a 3 year old. Actually, we're not sure if it was lawnmower or Clapton, but it was gross. Yours are much cuter.