Thursday, June 28, 2007

Girls will be girls. . .unfortunatly



  Don't you wish they were always this sweet and innocent?  I know that Olivia isn't perfect.  I know that she's not ALWAYS nice to her friends, I've heard her be bossy and controlling.  I know that she has her favorite friends and who she'll choose to play with when a group of them are together.  I also know that she's been on the other side of it.  Being left out, when she REALLY wanted to be included.  Having to sacrifice what she wants for a friend, who may not have even asked or cared about her.  Having to learn the hard way, that other people have favorite friends too, and sometimes, she's not it.   I've been thinking about how hard it is to raise girls for the past two days.  We had a couple of events this past week that reminded me that girls are caddy and mean to each other, even at the young age of four, five, seven, ten.  Not just when you hit Jr. high and high school.

  When Olivia was left out this week and I was there to observe it, I have to be honest, I had to choke back my tears.  Not only does it crush your heart and spirit that your child is being treated unfairly, but for women I think it brings up so many reminders of their childhood. Luckily, Olivia didn't get it.  I was able to redirect her without her realizing that the girls were lying to her to keep her away and save her the heartache of finally getting the courage to go over only to be shoved out of the "circle" or ran away from.

  God has given me great teachable moments in these times we've had lately, but to be honest, I wish there were easier ways to learn, unconditional love, unconditional forgiveness and a taste of her own medicine.  These tough times for Olivia will come in handy when she's mistreating someone, and can be reminded about how she felt the day she was left out.  And I pray that if I'm diligent in reminding her about how she felt, that she will eventually self correct.  So that when she's 12 and has the urge to make a club on the playground with her friends, she'll be the one in the group that suggests that anyone who wants to be in the club can be.

3 comments:

Eric said...

That's one of the good things about boys. She could have just punched it out and then they could have kept playing and it would be over. I'm glad for boys! Keep using the teachable moments as hard as they may be!

The Hulfish Family said...

She is so sweet and when I hear this story I think about how much she likes to take care of Esther. She never wants Esther to be sad and always shares with her. . .I hope that she is rewarded for how she tends to the feelings of other people!

J. Entwistle said...

It's so encouraging when those times when your children display the lessons you've tried to teach them. Unfortunately those times are few and far between. Don't get discouraged and always look for those times and make a big deal about them. Olivia and Garrett WILL learn to appreciate each other. It may take YEARS for them to really show it, but it will happen.
I love you Jess! You and Josh are doing a good job raising your kids. Keep it up.
Mom using J.'s computer.