Monday, February 25, 2008

Update on Jersey

Jersey is finding her place in our family. Garrett loves to play with her, Olivia loves to train her and Esther loves to kiss her. Josh has been disciplined in walking her twice a day (even in the frigged temperatures) and it helps her not be bored in the house all day and establishes Josh as her "pack leader". We've read both books by Cesar Millan, aka, The Dog Whisperer and have found them extremely helpful in maintaining and well balanced dog and household. I never thought that a dog would have a positive impact on our house, but she has. Overall the kids are much more calm and so are we, mostly due to the help of the Dog Whisperer's advice. If you have a dog, they are a must read. And if you're thinking about getting a dog, read the books first, than decide if you are willing to put the time in that is necessary for the dog.Taking a rest on Jersey.
Jersey enjoying her bone. She doesn't get to have it very much, because we are still breaking her of some food/possession aggression.
Looking up at one of her pack leaders, me.

6 comments:

The Maxwell House said...

are you guys going to be able to bring jersey when you come out?

The Hulfish Family said...

She is really pretty and I am glad that she is adjusting to her new "pack".

dawn wilson said...

I am totally getting those books you are talking about! I have a misbehaving dog that we have been on the verge of getting rid of! Our first dog is great but the second one... awful!!! I know it is our fault because we havent taken the time we needed to with her. I have been a bad dog owner. I am going to get both books asap! Thanks for sharing the advice. I have watched that guy on tv a few times...

Anna said...

WxhbHey Jess,
Your new dog is beautiful, and so is your new little boy! Pete and I love Cesar! We watch but didnt know he had books, we will have to definately get them. Our dog is a good dog obedience wise, but has a hrd time walking on the leash, its sucha hassle sometimes we just give up. Hopefully his books will give us some advice. Hope you dont mind me stopping by!
Anna Schimpf

J. Entwistle said...

I'm so glad she's adjusting. Keep being the "big dog"! I can't wait to meet her, and it makes me proud to hear how Olivia steps up to training her.

Jesse, Jess, Corban, and Malorie said...

She is a really pretty dog. I'd love to get one in a few years, too. I'll have to remember those books when the time comes. Corban is feeling better- praise the Lord! He and I are driving to Boston on Monday because Jesse is there for work. We're going to see Mel at least a few times, too- ah, Melvin!! :)