Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"Tiny Beach"

This past Saturday we went to Lake Michigan for the day. This was our first trip of the summer, mostly because of Olivia's leg. After we got back from the shore, Josh and I were really wanting to go back to the beach. And like my mom and dad say, "If you can't be on the Jersey Shore, this is a close second." The kids quickly made distinctions between Lake Michigan and the shore. Olivia called the lake, "our beach" and Esther has called it the "tiny beach" since we returned. The water was really rough, which made swimming for the kids out of the question. Josh and I took turn taking the kids in and found out quickly that we couldn't go too far with them, or getting back in was really tough because of the rip tides pulling us back out. One time I thought Josh was going to have to save me and Olivia. Other than the rough waters, it was a great day. Gideon took a long nap on the beach, the kids played great, and we enjoyed the quiet and each other. It was great to get away with no cell phones, no agendas, not even a watch. It was simple and wonderful.






Garrett found a piece of drift wood and made it his surf board for the day.





2 comments:

The Hulfish Family said...

We love Garretts surf board! And there is nothing like the jersey shore, but it is nice for you guys to have the lakes right there for you guys! I guess I can't really say that cause I have never been to your "tiny" beach, but I am partial to "the shore"

Jesse, Jess, Corban, and Malorie said...

Jess- so great to catch up and read your blog! Love the pictures of the shore and your garden! Our garden has been a surprising success, too. Oh, and your family pictures are quite amazing- nice work, Corrie:) I can't believe it's Aug. 5th already...I don't want summer to be over- I am enjoying being outside so much! Check out our blog in a couple days. I have a lot to add tomorrow since I'll actually be home:) Love ya! Jess