Thursday, January 22, 2009

How do you cope?

The past couple of weeks have been crazy, exciting, stressful, peaceful, draining, and exhilarating. As you can see, there is no one word that describes how we are doing. Our future is uncertain, and we are at peace with that. We have committed this decision to God, and know that he's going ahead of us. He will meet all of our NEEDS. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that we don't have to prepare, make some plans, and be responsible for our family. Along with these things comes many days of thinking, coping, praying, asking, listening, waiting, longing. Do you see how my brain could be a little jumbled? I have learned a couple new things in the last couple of weeks.

Number 1, God has brought me farther in my journey then I thought I had come (this is a good thing!).

Number 2, my kids are amazing at coping. They have yet to respond to our move the way you would expect.

Number 3, I can cope, because I can organize. And I LOVE it! I do my best thinking while I'm throwing stuff out, making donation piles, and packing boxes. I have clarity. I have peace. I gain confidence. AND I get things ready, clean, organized - BONUS! I've cleaned out and packed every closet in the house. I've cleaned out the basement and all the kids rooms. Every kitchen and bathroom cabinet and drawer is cleaned and ready to sweep into a box. It feels good to be ready. Something has to be ready, when plans are so uncertain. I've been steam cleaning the carpets, my favorite chore. Today I rearranged the living room after cleaning out under the couch (DISGUSTING!). Who doesn't like rearranging furniture? My sister and I would do this on a regular basis growing up. It hasn't stopped since getting married. Josh either comes home to a new arrangement of furniture, or he's the one moving it (b/c I'm always prego!). He doesn't understand the need for change, but loves me enough to let me be me. Thanks babe!

So, I don't say this all to toot my own horn, but merely to give an example of a coping tendency. I'm wondering, how do you cope? When do you do your best thinking? When are you most focused? Do you. . .

get violent?


eat?


clean?


sleep?

exercise?

Or do you cope some other way? Let us know!






3 comments:

Josh said...

I sleep but that's not too healthy. Plus I don't think too much while I sleep.

Unknown said...

Funny, I do a lot of the same things you do- clean clean clean, organize, throw things away, move furniture, start a new crafty, cooking or sewing project, or in our wealthier days (HA) I'd buy a new lip gloss, nail polish color, purse, backpack, bag, box, bin or shelf of some sort. I still remember the day after being home with Elijah for 6 months, not working at all and Eric came home to the 400lb piano sitting in the middle of the living room floor- got it that far, couldn't go any further without him. Fun times. I'm so glad you're all coping well.

Julie said...

Well coping is a funny thing for me. I use to just eat and sleep and deny. But now I have learned still to eat and sleep (hehe I love eating no matter what my mood is) but I also journal, clean (while cleaning think about what I am dealing with) But I really just like to sit down and journal because it helps me really see how I am feeling even if I have not thought it yet and later I can go back and read it and see how I have grown from that experience.