Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Never before

Never before have I participated in Lent. Never before has there been something so a part of my life, that I felt compelled to give it up. Caffeine wouldn't do, I gave that up for pregnancies and nursing, for a time. TV - done that too - really not that tough. I know people who give up meat, soda, a bad attitude (although I don't think that one really can count, b/c that's awfully hard to control).

So I've got my "sacrifice". I use quotations because in the big picture what I'm giving up for the next 40 days is nothing compared to what Jesus gave up for me. And isn't that what this is all about? A preparation for the Holy Week, culminating with Easter. So I will deny myself, based on my human desires and temptations and prayerfully walk through the next 40 days, expectant of a fresh perspective on my God and my life.

I don't really know the rules to Lent, if you're suppose to talk about what it is you're giving up, but I'm going to anyway. Mostly because, if you know me at all, you'll know how much this is going to test me, and would love the prayers of my friends.

I hope to blog more in this time and hopefully, will be able to share what it is God is teaching me while I fast. . .from Facebook.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Yeah, I like the blogging more part.