Monday, June 02, 2008

Not A Good Dad!

So, here is the story. Jess was at the office today, while I stayed at home with the kids. I was inside the house and they were outside, when all of a sudden I here a screaming child and Garrett is running to tell me that Olivia had wrecked her bike in the road. Now at this point, I know that everything is going to be alright and that Olivia just scratched her knee or her elbow. The problem at that time was that she was in the middle of the road and I didn't want anyone to run her over. (Now for any of you that don't know, our road is the road less traveled. There has to be a reason for someone to come driving down our road, so I wasn't too concerned.) I yell to her to worry about her scrapes later and that she needs to get out of the middle of the road. She doesn't obey. So I walk out there to see exactly what has happened. She tells me that while she was trying to show Garrett how fast her bike was that she was turning and that the bike had slid out from underneath her. She tells me that she thinks the bike had ran over her leg. Now for those of you that know Olivia, we all know that she overreacts at times and I am thinking that she is just selling me something here. I tell her to get up. She says she can't. So I pick her up in one arm and pick her bike up in the other. I carried her into the house and sit her down on the couch. I proceed to check her out to see where the pain is and I'm assuming that it is nothing, so I tell her to stand up on it and walk it off. When I have her stand up, she screams out that it hurts and starts crying again. I am beside myself. How did I end up with such a sissy as a daughter? (By the way, if you have ever seen me get hurt you know how big of a girl I can be, so there is no question of where she gets it from!) I called Jess and told her what had happen, and I get short with her because I'm tired of listening to Olivia cry about her leg and I want Jess to come home so I can get on with my day. Jess was blogging at the time and tells me that she will be home after she is done. With that I say something to the effect of, "I understand, you have better things to do than to help your hurting daughter!" ( Yea, I suck as a husband too!!!! I laid a guilt trip on her!!!! I'm horrible.) At this point, I am getting a little more worried about Olivia because she won't stop whining about her leg and I told her that she may have to go to the doctor to have her leg looked at. Now here is the kicker, the last time that O went to the doctor was for her check up for kindergarten. While there she had to have blood drawn and I knew that she wouldn't want to go there, so she starts telling me that she is not going to go to the Dr. When Jess got home, I told her what was going on, that I thought that if O wasn't going to walk on it, then one of us (by that I mean Jess) will have to take her to the Dr., or the ER.
Jess ended up taking her and Gideon to the ER and all this time I'm praying that it is only a sprain. By now, I know that it is serious enough that I'm starting to writhe in my own self pity because of how bad a dad I have been! Jess called me later on to tell me that they took x-rays and the outcome was that we have a daughter with a fracture in her tibia. They have put her into a temporary cast and on Friday they will be putting her into a fiberglass cast. This is my story of how I'm not a good dad!

Here is Olivia cheesing it up for the camera with her new cast! Even in pain (which I think is minimal) she is still ready for a close up!

Here she is cheesing it up from another angle.

Here is what I'm sure the rest of the summer holds. She has to be in the fiberglass cast for 6 weeks!!! I'm so sorry Liv!!!!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow!! Olivia---we are SO sorry about your bike accident!!! Tell Mom and Dad that LOTS of ice-cream will make the time go quicker till the cast comes off!!! Love, Great Aunt Wendy
P.S. You Josh, on the other hand...
(I can say this--as I didnt have Jenn looked at for 2 days with a broken arm at that age!)

Unknown said...

So Elijah got off the bus and we got in the van to go pick up Micah and Isaiah who were playing at a friends house so I could work this afternoon, and I told him that Olivia had broken her leg today. I said it in a "Guess what the big news of the day is" kind of way, not in an end-of-the-world kind of way. He was quiet for a second while I talked on about how it had happened and that she was ok. And he was still quiet so I looked back and big tears were rolling down his red cheeks. I said, "It's all right Lij, she's going to be fine" at which point he started sobbing, out loud, tears flowing down his now tomato-red face. Such a sympathetic little guy. He eventually stopped when I told him that Olivia said it didn't hurt all the time, just when she moved. It made him feel much better.

We will be praying for you Liv AND making some lovely get well cards very soon.
- Aunt Erin

J. Entwistle said...

you're one tough cookie Liv. Aunt Cheryl and I hope you get well soon! Josh, just to let you know you're not alone...when corrie was younger she fell off a bike, came in crying while me and dad were watching tv. She wouldn't stop crying for about an hour, to which we replied, "stop crying, get over it! you just need to suck it up." all b/c we couldn't hear the tv. A few hours later she walks out of the ER in a cast with her broken wrist. whoops.

John said...

So sorry to hear about your bike accident, Liv. I'm sure that Dad will want to stock up on ice cream now.

Love ya,
Nana & Papa

Jenn said...

Ahh....Livs.....so sorry to hear about your bike accident!! We will pray that you heal quickly!
Josh-you ARE a good dad and dont let anyone tell you any different! (And there is plenty of time for her to pay you back.....)

Jenn said...

PS. I wanna see the films!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Olivia! Casts are no fun-especially in the summer! But ice cream and snow cones will make her feel alot better!

Karen R.

Anonymous said...

Grammy said,
I can't tell you how sorry I am, Olivia. I wish I could be there to do crafts with you. Get better quick and keep looking forward to the shore!! Josh, don't be too hard on yourself. I think it's a guy thing. Dad told me to tell Jess to "walk it off" when she broke her ankle and he was the dad that listened to his little girl cry for more than 1/2 hr. before taking her to the hospital with a broken wrist. You're in good company!
LOL

Karmen said...

WOW, Olivia! We are praying for you!!!! Hopefully the summer will fly by and you'll have lots of fun "inside" activities to do!!!

NP said...

You have taught all of us something by sharing your story. Barry and I are praying for Olivia and all of you.

Jodi said...

I think admitting to being a bad Dad is the first sign of being a great Dad! :) Lesson learned.