Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Why I love being a stay at home mom

I have to admit, this has been a tough week. We have VBS at church and I'm in charge of crafts. This means getting up and out of the house by 8:30 - which is new to all of us. This also means that for 4 hours, every day this week, I've got 25-35 kids that I'm instructing and hearing. Hearing them is the tough part for me because although I have four, loud children, I also have a routine at home every morning that gives me time to myself. This week I have to wait until nap time to get a "noise break". Today that didn't happen, Gideon didn't want to take a nap and neither did Olivia (she only naps two days a week, if she needs it, which she did). I called Josh 'fried' from the top of my head to the tips of my toes and he came home to relieve me. He stayed with the kids while I walked the dogs, in silence!

I say all of that to say this, even on the toughest of days, like today, I wouldn't change it for anything. I would hate to miss watching Garrett entertain Gideon by getting in his face than dramatically falling to the ground saying, "OWWW, you got me in the face!" And then hear Gideon laugh hysterically. I always want to be the one who kisses their boo-boos, listens to their frustrations about not being able to play because she broke her ankle, and watches them 'boogie board' in the pool. I want to be the one who hears their prayer requests every night and prays with them. I want to be the first one to hear child like faith from my kids, like last night after we tucked Garrett in, said, "You know what? We don't know what Esther's prayer request is, but Jesus always does." I don't want to miss the times when my kids are selfless, like yesterday when Olivia decided she wanted to give her friend her wallet, just because. Or like today when Olivia was doing her crafts, didn't even hesitate to let her friends paint one for themselves. I don't want to miss the snuggles after they get up from their naps. I want to be the one who overhears them playing teacher in their room.

Olivia: "OK, Can everyone say Olivia?"
Garrett: "Olivia."
Esther: "La."
Olivia: "Can everyone say Miss Olivia?"
Garrett: "Miss Olivia."
Esther: "La."
Olivia: "Good Job!"

I know it's silly. But I'm glad that I'm the one in on the silliness! After the day I've had, I'm glad that I have these things to look back on and smile and be thankful that my life is full of craziness and lots and lots of love!

My little "Bean"!

We did let Olivia try the pool the other day, with bags over her cast. It still got wet, which it can do, we just had to blow-dry the inside. It's a lot of work, but worth it to see her smile.

Speaking of smile. . . seriously!

I know, I know, he's going to hate this picture when he's older - but he's the one who pulled the "old man" waistline!


All lined up and ready for their mug-shot.

Olivia isn't scared to walk on her cast anymore, but still hesitates to do it. She gets places a lot faster by hopping. We are showing her tough love and hopefully it will pay off.

Another "old man" waistline for you. This time while pulling his pants further up, he was trying to pick his wedgie at the same time - what a goober. And yes, that is a watch on his ankle. He definitely keeps us laughing.

Esther's hair is looking really good here, because she thought she'd try shampooing it herself, dry. Yet another moment I wouldn't want to miss.

What a handsome guy - that smile makes all the screaming this afternoon forgivable.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess-

What a great post! I envy you for being able to stay at home with the kids. I didn't get to do that with Lucas. You always make it seem so easy, but I'm sure it's not! Just keep on keepin on-God knew what he was doing when he gave you those babies!

Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

Jess,

Thanks for sharing your kids with us! They make me smile too! I also envy you being able to be a stay at home Mom. I hope one day soon I'll be able to do the same. I miss so much of Cole's growing up, and it's so hard. Thankfully I have wonderful parents who take good care of him while I'm at work, and fill me in on the things I'm missing. My Mom is so great at taking pictures and sharing with us too. We need to get together soon!

Love, Katie

Jesse, Jess, Corban, and Malorie said...

It's great to read about your life! I've had many of those days lately (I've been babysitting 3 kids and bringing Corban with me over the last month). Quiet moments to myself are few but precious when I get them! But, like you said, I wouldn't trade having Corban constantly by my side for anything in the world- love ya- oh, and tell Olivia I am praying for her!!

Unknown said...

Man, Gideon is just too cute for words. And thanks for your reminder about savoring the moments. I can remember that one minute and forget the next.

On to other important business, Nordstrom is closing out of their line of e.l.f. cosmetics in favor of a new logo and they're selling everything with that logo for $1 on their website. All eyeshadows, blushes, nail polish, liners, brushes, gloss, everything. I just tried it and it worked. Shipping is 6.95 but if you use the code CAROLINA you get $7.50 off your order or 50% off if the order is less than $15. Shop soon, they were already out of some colors of things.
http://www.eyeslipsface.com/shop.asp
That's the link.