Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What are you thankful for?

Thanks to my sister-in-law Erin, our family now has a new, so far successful, way of dealing with life. She recently blogged about how they are dealing with the "I want" bug in their home. Every time one of the boys says "I want", they have to come up with something that they're thankful for. She shared how it has changed the conversations in their house and the attitudes of the whole family. (Check out their blog via our link!)

The "Michigan" Crisps have been doing this same thing, and we have added some other times to share thankfulness. For instance, after Olivia gets out of time out for hitting her sitter, she's got to tell me one thing that she's thankful for about Esther. And when Garrett was complaining about his dinner, because he HATES chicken, I asked him to share something he was thankful for. Here's how the conversation went:
Garrett: "NO, I don't want to!"
Mom: "Ok, you can go to time-out and while you're there think about something to be thankful for and share it with us then."
Garrett: "Ok, ok, I'm thankful for JESUS!" He says very angrily.
Mom: "OH, Buddy, He's a great thing to be thankful for! Why are you thankful for Jesus?"
Garrett: "Because He's in my heart." He says with conviction.

Back up to his seat he went and didn't complain about his dinner again. He didn't even fight eating it after that! Then we all took turns giving thanks. So a big THANKS to Erin for sharing a great idea in parenting.

Now some recent shots of the kids.

Garrett at the Salem Co. Pancake Breakfast. It was put on by the fire dept. and the kids had a great time touring the firehouse. Right after this shot was taken Garrett fell like a ton of bricks because the suit was so heavy. I wished I had the video camera!

Olivia enjoying more "inside" fun from her cousins.

I think she needs a barrette.

Gideon enjoying dinner. He's crawling as of Monday. When he gets really good I'll get a video of it. Right now we don't get much time on our card - so it would be hard to get.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mom said...
We could all use that thankful attitude! What if, everytime we complained about ANYTHING, we had to come up with someting we're thankful for. It sure would change our thinking. Thanks, Erin for that great reminder. Now, If I can just remember to do it!

jess e. said...

great idea, totally going to steal it!

Jenn said...

I think we will adopt this one as well!! Tell erin thanks!

Unknown said...

I love adding being thankful for brothers (and sisters in your case) specifically. We're adding that for sure.

On a completely unrelated note, every time we look at your blog together and Isaiah sees a picture of Esther, he points to her and says, "There's ME!" I guess since she's about the same age he assumes it's a picture of himself. So today we were looking at this post and he said, "Mommy, where's that now?" and pointed to the mat under Esther's paper. I asked him again and he said, "I want that" and pointed to it. I think he's really convinced that it's him in the picture and he's trying to figure out where his mat and coloring went. Funny.