Friday, June 06, 2008

Olivia Update

Today was the day to get Olivia's new cast and we were all a little unsure how it would all go. The ER doctor told us that she'd have a full leg cast and need crutches. But when we got to the orthopedist he said she'd only needed a boot cast and that she could walk on it. She has not walked on it yet, not b/c of pain, but because she's worried about losing her balance and falling. We will continue to encourage her to walk on it and hopefully she will be by Monday (VBS starts Monday at church).

Family life, although always changing, has seen a major shift in our house this week. Garrett is quietly, and in his own time, stepping up as the leader and helper. Tuesday morning he thought it would be fun to entertain Olivia by wrestling with a stuffed Elmo toy, and it was funny. He's gotten Olivia more glasses of water than I can count, all without prodding from mom or dad. He and Esther have been seen playing together, without fighting, on numerous occasions. And this evening, as we were trying to get Olivia to walk her clothes to her hamper (without success), Garrett ran over, got the clothes and took them for her. What a great guy! Sometimes I wonder if we ever get through to him, but these times remind me that he is growing into a great little man!

We are so thankful that she ONLY broke her leg, and are thankful for a perspective in life that makes this trial not even worth complaining about. We are praying that she heals correctly and quickly. She goes back on July 9th and we are praying that he will see NO REASON to not take her cast off. The reason for this prayer is that on July 13th we are leaving for vacation at the Jersey shore, and we would love to have her be able to be in the sand and water without a cast to think about. Thank you for all your love and prayers.

Waiting on the Doc. He was really nice and quick. Our appointment was at 10:00. We got there early to fill out paper work and they got us back to see him early. We were walking out at 10:12!

Not too much bruising, sorry Uncle J.

Purple was the color of choice.


Of course Gideon was along for the ride - he's such a good baby!



5 comments:

Jodi said...

Olivia just looks all too happy to be the center of attention! That broken leg stuff isn't so bad afterall! :)

I can't believe Garrett is on all fours - I can't get Judah to do that AT ALL!

Thanks for the comment on my blog, Jess - it was so great to hear from you! I had no idea you were checking in, and it's ALWAYS encouraging to hear that someone is praying for us! Even though I can feel it and see it, it's nice to know where it's coming from. :)

Jodi said...

NOT GARRETT. Sorry. Gideon! Sheesh. (it's WAY past my bedtime)

Unknown said...

You can tell Liv that when I had my walking cast (I was 11) I played softball the last week it was on. I couldn't run the bases, but I did play outfield and stopped a ball with my cast. I had a big soft dent on the cast from where the ball hit it. She'll probably get used to it pretty quickly and it's a LOT better than crutches (I had those too for the first 4 weeks- yuk!). Anyway, she looks like she's doing great. I'm sure she'll be up and around before you know it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,
We hope everything will work out will Olivia and her cast. Katelyn was so sad to hear that she was hurt.
Love & Hugs,
The Ferguson's

J. Entwistle said...

what a nice guy! Jess, i might not be remembering correctly, but wasn't your cast purple? I was thinking it was either purple or green...can't remember exactly. Liv, feel better - you're a tough cookie, i'm sure you'll be fine!