Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Open house

Tonight was the night that Olivia's been counting down for. Open house. Meet the teacher. See her classroom. Meet some other kids. Ride the bus! The way the evening started out at home I was second guessing how it would go at the school. Our babysitter forgot to show up for the other kids (partly my fault because I didn't confirm with her mid-week), so at 5:30 I was scrambling around trying to get a sitter, and thankfully got one who only lived right down the road. When I got back from picking up Courtney, I left the car running and yelled in the house to "come on!" As soon as the words were out of my mouth I hear Josh open the bathroom door, and Olivia's screams come flooding into the house. In the two minutes that I was gone she had crushed her big toe underneath the toy riding tractor in the front yard. Blood was gushing from her foot and Josh was wrestling with a band-aid. Josh and I exchanged some short jabs at each other and hit the road at 5:51 pm. I wanted to leave at 5:45, ugh, I hate being late! Olivia bounced back quickly and was ready to go when we arrived at school at 5:59 - one minute early! I failed to get any pictures of her in the classroom, mostly because we were shuffled so quickly in and out. I did get pictures of her one the bus. Olivia quote of the night, "I'm sooo excited!"
She picked the first seat on the bus - typical.

The whole ride she sat looking out the window and didn't want to talk - not typical.

Our small group met at our house while we were gone and this is what Es and Garrett looked like by the end of the time.



This is how they got that dirty. They, along with two other toddlers, threw dirt at each other while they chanted, "CHINA, CHINA!" This is the second week in a row they were attempting to dig to China.

8 comments:

charitymaas said...

Hey there Jess, it's Charity from IWU, remember me? Just found your site and wanted to say hi! Here's ours:

http://web.me.com/charitymaas/Site/Welcome.html

Melissa said...

Aw Jess. I will be praying for you as you send your first baby off to school and I hope you will be praying for me as I send my last baby off. It is so exciting yet crazy at the same time! Olivia looked so cute on the bus. Let me know how things go. Oh and one other thing... The pics of Esther and Garrett as typical Shaylan. You can tell they are related even if it is from a distance!

John said...

Olivia's going to be great at school. As for Es and G...."Please, sir, may we have some more porridge?"

Love y'all,
Nana & Papa

Jodi said...

Oh my gosh - that is SO FUNNY! Looks like they've got a ways to go before they get there, but having a heck of a good time in the process. I love dirt - it looks good on kids!

Shoemaker Family said...

That picture of Esther is just so pitiful. Great picture. You might have to blow that one up and put it on the wall....or send it onto Compassion as a picture for one of the children to support. Who could pass up that dirty cute little face?? :)

Anonymous said...

Mom said...
How exciting for Olivia. Wish I could be there for the big day! Garrett and Esther are just like little Ange, always dirty. Maybe they're the poor people Olivia was praying for in the last blog. (Ha HA) Do you know where John's quote is from? Yes, Jess it was you doing the "stink face". You and Jimmy used to sit together and do that face with the sound effects! I have pictures of you doing it. I can't believe how old Gideon looks! I'm missimg it! Couldn't you move closer??? Love you all!!

John said...

Lorrie, It's a poor attempt to remember the quote from "Oliver Twist". The real quote is...'"Please, Sir, I want some more."' Google is my friend!

Anonymous said...

Lorrie said...
John,you got it good enough that I recognized it. I just wondered if Jess did. She didn't but Josh did!