Monday, March 30, 2009

Garrett's first day of Preschool/Olivia's new class

Today couldn't have gone better. I was a little worried about Garrett after last night's conversation. He looked up at me and said, "Mom, is tomorrow school?" "Yes!" I said as enthusiastically as possible. He looks down and says, "Oh...well...I don't think I want to go. I'm not going to like it." "Oh, buddy, I really think you're going to LOVE school, you need to give it a try before you decide you're not going to like it. Ok?" "Uh-hu."

I can tell, I haven't convinced him.

I sleep terribly, thinking about Olivia being the 'new kid.' About Garrett not adjusting to change. I pray for peace, for all of us. For a spirit of power, not a spirit of fear.

I wake up, ready the kids for school - pray, pray, pray.

Olivia has her coat on for 10 minutes before we have to go. She's ready! Garrett doesn't go to preschool until the afternoon, but I thought it would be a good idea for him to see Olivia go to her class for his confidence.

Walk into the office, wait for the teacher. The staff was welcoming and wonderful. Mrs. S. comes in, shakes hands, explains drop off, lunch, class, specials...so much information!! I explain that Olivia has not experienced all day school yet, but that I'm not worried about her AT ALL. O and G are taking it all in. The colorful hallways, the busy adults, safety patrol at the doors, and all the kids. We walk into the all purpose room where O will line up for her day. A nice woman greets G, "HI HANDSOME!" G plays shy, but smiles as we walk by.

O is taking in the more than 100 kindergartners in the APR - she seems a little taken back, but not afraid. The teacher invites G and I to go up to her room and see it. I'm glad, for G. As we walk in line through the school, I can feel G's excitement rising - just by his energy.

O is dropped off, she doesn't even turn to hug or kiss me, I had to go over to her (tear)! As we walked out of the building G says, "Mom, is it lunchtime yet?" I think, "Oh man, this is going to be a LONG morning!"

G was so excited the whole morning, asked if it was lunch time more than 20 times! Prayers were answered! He was excited when I dropped him off and when I picked him up. His teacher said he did great, lets pray he keeps it up.

I wasn't crazy with the camera at the school b/c I felt a little foolish taking pictures of my kids in the middle of the school year. I hope these are good enough.
G and O outside the van, ready to take O in the morning.

O waiting in her class for instructions on what to do. The tongue is sticking out b/c of her loose tooth. Her bottom tooth is REALLY lose, but she doesn't work it a whole lot. Her adult tooth is coming in, so I'm hoping it will push the other out.

The hallway outside her door. Her classroom is the door on the right.


G, confidently going into the school.



Waiting to meet his teacher. And yes, he LOVES his Ironman back pack.





5 comments:

Eric said...

Way to go O and G! We are all so proud of you. We'll be praying for you this week as well. Way to go mommy! I know that had to be hard and we'll be praying for you as well. We miss y'all!

dawn wilson said...

It sounds like they are adjusting to the change quite well. I have no doubt that any child of Jess and Josh would be anything less than extremely outgoing! You're a great mommy!!!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad things went well. They are such cool kids (because they have the coolest parents of course). How is it with just 2 at home for a while? That's got to be a switch.
Tell O and G that we're so so proud of them for all of their adjusting and courage in the face of change.
We love you guys and the kids prayed a special prayer for their cousins new school adventures last night.

Shoemaker Family said...

Very cool...is this a school that you went to when you were young, Jess?

Jess said...

Erin - I haven't had a day with only two kids at home, today will be the first time. We had Avery here the last two days. So, I'll let you know how that goes when it happens.

Allison - this is the school that I attended for 5th and 6th grade - and have very bad memories of. Not b/c of the school - but the other kids. It wasn't a good time in my life - probably where all my paranoia for O and G are coming from.