Sunday, January 20, 2008

Garrett's terrible, awful, no good day


Today was NOT Garrett's day. Many of you who know him well will not be surprised by his day of unfortunate events. It started out after church when he and a couple other boys were chasing each other around. I was chatting away in the sanctuary, when he comes barreling in, crying and screaming. I really thought we were headed to the ER the way he was crying. I quickly gathered him up in my arms and tried to find out what happened. A woman from church followed him in and said he got him HEAD shut in the double doors. On the right side of his face is a pretty nasty red mark, that I assume will be turning into a bruise. And his left ear is swollen and has another red mark, that too will bruise. That's event number one.

Here's event number two. When we got home, I made lunch and Josh watched the kids. After we got done eating we asked the kids to go play. Esther was rocking (quite hard) in the glider rocker. As she attempted to get off the chair, it tipped forward off the ground at the same time that Garrett was running by to go play, hitting him square in the nose. There's a nice red mark on the bridge of his nose, that again, is probably going to bruise. Are you ready for event three? Yes, there's one more!

After nap-time we wanted to get the kids outside to take their picture in the snow and to let Jersey play a little. We got our photo op, and Esther and I headed in. Josh soon followed with Jersey b/c she was going crazy at the snowmobiles behind the house. Olivia and Garrett braved the single digit temperatures for a while longer, until Garrett showed up on the deck
crying. . .with his mouth wide open. Here's the conversation that ensued.

Josh to Olivia: "What happened to Garrett?" (We always assume they did something to each other).
Olivia: "He hurt his tongue, it's bleeding."
Josh to the both of them: "Did you stick your tongue on the swing set?"
Olivia: "I don't know."
Garrett: "NO!" Through the screaming and tears.
Josh: "Than what happened?"
Olivia: "I think he did stick his tongue to the swing set."
Josh: "Garrett, did you?"
Garrett: "Uh-Hu"
Jess: "Come here and let me take a picture of it!"
Garrett: "NO!"

Obviously, I got the picture. And you can even see the tears coming down his face. One day he'll recall this day will utter hate for me, I'm sure. But what a memory!

7 comments:

Jenn said...

All I can say is...."BOYS!!!"

Josh said...

I laughed so hard, I'm sorry he had such a bad day, but that was so funny.

Shoemaker Family said...

That was hilarious...solely at Garrett's expense. Sorry, buddy! Oh man - I'm laughing out loud here at work as I read it!!! Thanks for the smile!

J. Entwistle said...

I'm with Josh, that gave me a much needed laugh. I think you should post more conversations that happen in your house; they'd probably keep me entertained for awhile.

Shoemaker Family said...

OK...so I'm home now and the boys happen to be napping so I'm just surfing around...well, that post still made me laugh right out loud!! You guys have so much fun! :)

Melissa said...

poor garrett but even though i only have girls that sounds like my house. i like the title of your blog too. it is perfect.

Jodi said...

I didn't think that actually happened in real life! haha! Poor kid.

Love the family picture!