Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Have lots of "boy"friends

"Two of these thing's are not like the other. . ."

One of my prayers, is that my girls will not get sucked into the "girl" world that is so caddy, selfish and manipulative. Not even a week into school, and the "girl" issues have begun. On Monday, on the way to the bus stop, Olivia told me that she was going to sit with someone else on the bus that morning. She still liked the girls she had sat with before, but wanted to sit with other people too. I didn't hear anything else until Josh got her from the bus yesterday and came home with this story.

Josh: "How was your day?"
Olivia: "Good. ______ said that we aren't friends anymore." She says very casually.
Josh: "Why?"
Olivia: "Because I sat with _____ on the bus, and didn't sit with them. But I told them, it's not fair, _____always sits by herself, she needs friends too."
Josh: "Oh, ok."

When I heard this story, every insecurity and mean experience that I had growing up caused me to get defensive and try to fix the situation. As I stumbled over words, trying to encourage and lift her up, Josh stopped me and said, "Jess, she dealt with it fine. . . she's fine."

This situation has, I'm sorry to say, dominated my thoughts today. I called Josh in tears thinking about what may have happened this morning on the bus. What if the girls ignored her and didn't let her sit with them. (She promised them yesterday that she would sit with them this morning). What if they started teasing her, how would she feel? Who would she go to if she was upset? How can I prepare for her the hurt she will have? All needless worry. She was "perfect." The bus was good, and she sat with the "friends." I use the term lightly, because I pray that she will always surround herself with people who let her be herself, especially when she's loving others, no matter who they are. I pray she will never fall into being in a clique. And that she will always treat others the way she would want to be treated.

She has surpassed my expectations thus far and taught me so much in just a week. She is a strong little girl with strong convictions.



3 comments:

The Hulfish Family said...

I love her!! She is so awesome. . .she has such a good heart for people and I hope that she never looses that! We are praying for her and all of you.
Avery says Josh really well:)

dawn wilson said...

You should be so proud! I felt personal pain as I read your story... how hard it must be to hear some other child say something hurtful to your precious baby. I know those days will come I just hope I am ready for them. You are a great mom... definitely what you were born to do! (but we've always known that)

Shoemaker Family said...

If Olivia is doing so well...Doesn't that mean that you guys are doing something right??? :) Way to go guys...