Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Big Cheese

The day came and went, the morning flew by, but I missed my girl. Garrett, Esther and mommy have a lot of adjusting to do now that our playmate, peace-keeper, and helper is off to school. She was as confident as I knew she'd be. She didn't bat an eye when I told her we wouldn't be getting on the bus with her. She pushed me away at the bus stop when I hugged her before the bus even got there! And as you'll see, she didn't even look back when she stepped on the bus - she kept on going. I prayed for her all day, maybe I was really praying for
me. . . I was almost wanting a call from the school telling me she was too upset to stay, I want her to need her mommy still, and of all my kids, she needs me the least. It's what makes me love her. Her independence, confidence, and self-esteem that I pray she holds on to forever. She didn't care that she had to take her Dora back-pack on the first day b/c her other one wasn't here. She didn't care that her snack was wrapped in a Meijer bag b/c her lunch bag was MIA too. She was just happy to be going to school. So happy, that when Josh got her off the bus, she quickly hugged him and started running home without giving a detailed play-by-play of her day, per what was expected. Josh stopped her and said, "Hold on, why are you running, I want to hear about your day!" She glanced back at him and said, "I need to get home quick, so that I can go to bed and go back tomorrow!"

Once we got her talking, she had lots of things to say about her day. What her new friends names were, and that she was the first, "Big Cheese" of the year. What's the Big Cheese, you ask. It's the helper for the day, and she was randomly picked by her teacher for today. She was really excited. I didn't fail to mention that she must have gotten her mom's luck, b/c Crisp's (at least according to Josh) have terrible luck!

A great first day. No tears from anyone, even me. Well, until I started writing this post. Oh, well, can't keep it in forever!



Ready to go!


Can you guess which pre-school age child took this picture?

7:45 am - It was a family affair down to the bus stop. It's very unusual to have us all out and dressed at this time of the day, I'm going to say that it was a first.

Looking for the bus. It was 10 minutes late picking up and 20 minutes late dropping off!

We wait for the bus down our street in front of another little girls house. Her name is Olivia too - she's in first grade. Her little brother is three and his birthday is November 22nd, same as Gideon

Getting on the bus.

See how the other little Olivia stopped for her picture - our Olivia is busting tail on the bus!

Getting off the bus - so excited!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

YAY OLIVIA!!!! I kept checking for a blog all day to see how it went. Tomorrow is Shaylans big day. You want to know something really funny. Shaylan will ride bus 42 to school and bus 36 home from school. Just 2 numbers different from Olivia. I am glad you kept it together because if you can, then I should be able to also! (Did you want to follow the bus to make sure she got there okay and made it to her room? I am thinking I may.)

The Hulfish Family said...

I love it!!! I couldn't help it. . .I cried! She is too much for me and I hope and pray that she keeps her confidence forever. I am glad that her new school stuff is there now and I hope tomorrow is just as exciting for her. The "big cheese" was the perfect job for her, way to go Entwistle LUCK!

Unknown said...

I've checked about 100 times looking for the update from the big day... so exciting. She is so grown up and I love the pic of Garrett waiting for the bus, hands on hips... he cracks me up! It is a strange thing being without someone who has always been there. Isaiah and I have an hour alone together every day now, and it is precious time, but a little strange too.

Jess said...

Nope - I didn't follow the bus. Josh did want to beat the bus to school, just to watch her get off. I thought that would have been fun too.

Shoemaker Family said...

That was a great play by play of the day. LOVED IT! Such beautiful kids!!! And..what is up with two different numbered buses?? What in the world? We always had ONE number for pick up and drop off. Much easier!

dawn wilson said...

Jess, that is a great memory! I have to say, I cried when I read it too. You did a great job of recapturing the moment. They get so big, so fast! I can't believe she is in school now! Seems like we were just in school together last week! She is precious... so brave!

Jenn said...

Way to go OLIVIA!!! Praying she has a wonderful year full of firsts!

Eric said...

LOVE IT! Has to get to bed so she can go back to school the next day. Priceless!! She's got PhD written all over her.