Monday, September 22, 2008

Lots of picutres and what we've been doing

I've had tons of pictures to download to the computer for a while, and just haven't done it. But, today was the day, and I thought, "while I'm at it, I might as well blog them all!" I hope you enjoy!
Esther is getting so BIG! Here she is fresh out of the bath. She's as independent as ever, always having to brush her own hair, put on her own shoes and socks, and getting dressed all by herself.
She loves to play mommy with Gideon and her play babies. Gideon doesn't tolerate being held down very well anymore. He's chewing on a wipe in this picture, I know it's weird, but it keeps him happy for a while.


Here she is reading to her babies.

Here's my "fashion forward" daughter. As I was getting ready to do her hair for school on Friday she said, "Mom, could you do my pony on the side?" I asked her where she saw that and she said that a friends mom did it for her at her house. I was a little hesitant. All I could think about was that girl from Napoleon Dynamite. I did it anyway, mostly because I want her to have her own sense of style and let her express herself that way. Hair is not worth fighting about, especially when she's five!

We went to downtown Holland on Friday afternoon and walked around. It's a historically sound section of Holland and such a beautiful walk. All we did was walk, together, as a family. And the kids LOVED it. That night during prayer time it's all they wanted to talk about. Ah, the simple pleasures in life.


Gideon chillin' in the stroller.

They've got some really cool statues all along the street. This one is of children raising the American flag and saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Olivia said the whole thing, Garrett just wanted to touch the statues.

Gideon is so much fun. He's not been sleeping very well, maybe he's my kid that doesn't require a lot of sleep. I hope number 5 needs lots of it!

The kids have been dying to climb trees. They are just too small or the trees too big. However, the other day I thought about the pole in the side yard and suggested they try climbing it. They were very successful and proud. Garrett's climbed it every day since. Some days he takes a Frisbee up with him and pretends he's driving a car or flying a plane. Who needs toys??

These are the levels by which each child can reach.

Gideon found the hole that leads to China and thought he'd try to go too.

Here he is attempting to get out of the "China" hole.

In funny Josh news, he was voted on at church to be the pastor slimed at this years Fall Info Party for our children's program. He was a good sport and was reminded that he got the most votes because everyone loves him! That didn't make him feel better.

Es loves to take pictures, this day it was me. Thankfully most of the time she wants to take Josh's picture.

The next set of pictures need to be set up. The same day they all climbed the pole, Garrett had a major melt down about Esther having something he wanted and she wouldn't give up. I told him to wait his turn. He was upset that he couldn't have what he wanted, when he wanted it and went over to pout and cry under the tree. Gideon was across the yard, on the other side of the driveway and heard Garrett's screams. If Gideon could talk (or I could read his mind) this is what it would have sounded like, I think.

"Oh, my brother is so sad! I wonder if I can make him feel better?

Here I come Garrett! I will save you!"


"Man, he's really loud and really unhappy. I don't think he sees me yet, I hope he doesn't get made when I. . .

TACKLE HIM! Now he's smiling and laughing! I love you brother."



4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh! You're killin me Jess. Why do we have to live so stinkin far away from each other? Garrett and Gideon are just too adorable, and I love Olvia's huge smile with her side pony tail. Esther is growing like crazy and has that independent spirit written all over her confident little face. Great idea climbing the pole too. I'm praying that God collides our family paths somehow when Eric finishes in 2 years... somehow... just so you know. :)

The Hulfish Family said...

I must say that I LOVED this blog!! I love Olivias side ponytail and the Gideon/Garrett segment! That was so cute. . .and Bean, well what is not to love about that girl. But I must say that I TOO am praying that God will bring your family closer to us. . .so if God plans on colliding you guys with E and E He better plan to have us ALL COLLIDE. (I know I am a little selfish)
PS: NJ is so much more awesome than the Mid-west - more expensive, but still more awesome :)

Kristina said...

Hey Jess, your kids are so cute and have such great love for one another. They are going to be best friends for life!

Eric said...

OK, so those kids in the pictures are entirely too old to be the nieces and nephews I have been missing! Gideon and Micah look a lot alike. Esther looks so grown up! Missing those youngsters...