Saturday, April 26, 2008

Garrett and Esther Make a Memory

Friday was a good day. Olivia had spent the night at a friends house the night before and was playing there all day. Garrett, Esther and Gideon were home with me and were playing pretty well together. Around 11:00am we took a walk to the church to see the updated pictures that we had taken at church on Sunday. After seeing the pictures I got caught talking with Joyce, the church secretary, Pastor Steve and Josh. Garrett and Esther had gone outside and were eerily quiet. I thought, something isn't right, I better check on them. I exited the building to find them stomping in a puddle right in front of the office doors. They had their crocks on, but told them to get out of the puddle.

I re-entered the building.

About five minutes later I exited the building for a second time, this time to go home. As I looked over to tell them that it was time to go, it hit me. The glare. . . from their butts in the sun. Yes, in the process of not obeying me by continuing to play in the puddle, the two of them decided to undress from the waist down. So they were playing half naked, in the light of day, in a church parking lot, in a dirty puddle, and they were using their clothes to "mix" the puddle water.

"JOSH! Come here!"
"What? What's wrong?" He stops dead in his tracks. "GET OUT OF THE PUDDLE! Put your clothes on!" He turns and heads for the door. When he's out of sight of the kids, he breaks down laughing, which sends me into laughter.

I hand Gideon to Josh and I go over and put their shorts back on them while threatening to spray them down with the hose when we get home, which they are excited about. "Darn." I guess it just a bath for them. . .which they also love.

7 comments:

The Hulfish Family said...

That was so funny! Kids do the craziest things. It makes me wonder how do they think to do things like that? Seriously, what goes through their little heads? That will be a story to tell to their friends!

J. Entwistle said...

oh man, that was awesome! at least they aren't starting kindergarten in a few months ;)

Anonymous said...

That is toooo funny about Garrett and Esther!! Also, I love the new family picture-that is so good of all of you!!

Unknown said...

That's a great story! I'm sure Garrett will love to hear that one when he's older... naked in a puddle with his sis. :)

And, GREAT family picture.

Karmen said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOO hilarious!!!! You've GOT to scrapbook that story ... with or without pictures!! You should ALWAYS have your camera with you (even in the car), you know??? Thanks for sharing the laugh for the day!

And I LOVE your new family picture!!!

Jodi said...

AWESOME story - I could totally imagine the whole thing playing out. I love your family picture, by the way - those kids are a perfect blend of the two of you! :)

Eric said...

G makes me laugh! What a couple of free spirits. They will love that one when friends come over in high school!